Job Title: ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Street address: 285 S. Jackson Street, Room 145
Personal InterestsDrawing, graphic design, reading, cooking, travel.
Biographical InformationI teach and write about two different areas, Design Communication and Urban Design. For Design Communication I explore strategies to promote hand graphics as a tool for creative expression. I am also active in promoting sketching to designers and non-designers for its mental health benefits. For Urban Design, I teach studios which enable students to engage with place-making at a local scale, while my research address the complex challenges in urban development in India.
My professional background includes urban design, architecture, and historic preservation. I am also an artist (drawing, silk dyeing, computer illustration), graphic/visual designer, and UX designer. Before teaching, I worked for over twelve years at design firms in the United States and India.
EducationMLA (with Distinction), University of Georgia, 1994
BArch (with Honors), Mumbai University, 1991
Design Communication, Graphic Representation, Visual/Graphic Design, Sketching and Mental Health.
Urban Design, Urbanization in India, Heritage Conservation, Water in the Cityscape.
Design Communication, Hand Graphics, Urban Design, Construction, Architecture.
Reducing stress and anxiety
- "Sketching for Centering", CELA Conference, 2021
- Fontaine Center, UGA Health Center, Athens, GA
- UGA Human Resources/Training & Development, Athens, GA
- Salesforce, Bellevue, WA
- Terry College of Business, UGA, Athens, GA
- UC Berkeley Staff Development, Berkeley, CA
Promoting design thinking and creativity
- Cedar Shoals High School, Athens, GA
- Jackson County Comprehensive High School, Jefferson, GA
- East Jackson High School, Commerce, GA
- Olson-Kundig Architects, Seattle, WA
- Berger Partnership, Seattle
- LABash Annual Conference 2019, Athens, GA
- UGA Alumni Weekend, Athens, GA
- SF User Experience Designers, San Francisco, CA
- In-person teaching improves student mental health and mine. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- The feel-good power of the aimless scribble.
The power of the pen(cil): Enduring validity in technology-dominated design education. Visual Inquiry, vol. 8, no. 3, December 2019.
Veneration of Water as Determinant of Riverfront Spatial Form. In 'Water in the Townscape', vol. 2, ed. Anna Januchta-Szostak. Poznan University of Technology, Poland.
- Planning for Health Amelioration: Analyzing Mumbai’s Urbanization Patterns ICUPRD Conference, Vienna, Austria.
- (Re)Discovering Lost Connections: Restoring the Relationship between City and Water. CELA-ISOMUL Conference, Maastricht, The Netherlands.
- Safeguarding the Sacred Ghats of Varanasi: Preservation and Conservation Strategies. UNESCO-ICCROM Conference, Macau.
- Sacralizing the Water’s Edge: The Landscape of the Ghats at Varanasi. IFLA Conference, Apeldoorn, The Netherlands.
‘Manual Skills, Technological Present: Identity of hand graphics in landscape architecture today.’ CELA, Sacramento, CA, 2019.
‘Nature in the Indian Mega-City: Locating Identity and Place’. CELA, Austin, TX, 2013.
- ‘Creating Connection to Place: Using Local Landscape Tradition to Redefine the Identity of Chandigarh, India’. CELA, Tucson, AZ, 2009.
- (with Akers, M.A.A., Harrison G., & Martin C.) ‘The Torrance Test of Creativity in Landscape Architecture’. CELA, Tucson, AZ, 2009.
- ‘Collaborative Diversity: Deriving an Urban Design Paradigm from Historic Mumbai for Planning Future Neighborhoods’. EDRA, Vera Cruz, Mexico, 2008.
- ‘Landscape as Maker of Identity: A Case Study of Le Corbusier’s Capitol Complex in Chandigarh’. EDRA, Atlanta, GA, 2006.
- ‘Reinventing the Cultural Landscape: Chandigarh in the Contemporary Environment’. IAPS, Stockholm, Sweden, 1996.
Honors & awards
- Research Travel Award, UGA President’s Venture Fund
- Outstanding Teacher Award, College of Environment and Design
- Outstanding Faculty Award, College of Environment and Design Alumni Association
- Award for Excellence in Research & Creative Works, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture
- Best Paper Award, UNESCO-ICCROM Conference
- Writing Fellowship, UGA Center for Teaching and Learning