Job Title: ASSOCIATE PROFESSORCurriculum Vitae
Street address: 152 Jackson Street Building
Athens, GA 30602-1845
Biographical InformationDr. Calabria, a licensed landscape architect, has worked with diverse clientele on many conservation, restoration and development projects and brings these experiences to his teaching at UGA. Several projects have improved environmental quality within the human context and have received Merit and Honor Awards at the state level. Dr. Calabria’s students recently received an Honor Award for their analysis of restoration strategies for habitat improvement from GA ASLA.
Dr. Calabria’s research includes the amelioration of land use impacts on receiving waters, exploration of peoples’ perceptions and attitudes toward water resources, and pedagogical evaluation of service-learning.
EducationPhD, Wildlife and Fisheries Biology, 2010, Clemson University
Dissertation: Predicting Effects of Imperviousness on Family Biotic Index Values in the Southern Appalachian Headwaters and Resulting Extension Education
Masters of Landscape Architecture, 2007, Clemson University
Terminal Project: Informing Riparian Area Design with Visual Preference Data for Increased Human Acceptance and Riparian Corridor Master Plan
Bachelors of Landscape Architecture, 1992, University of Georgia
- 2016 - present: Associate Professor, College of Environment and Design, University of Georgia.
- August 2010 - 2016: Assistant Professor, College of Environment and Design, University
Tenure track teaching appointment to serve undergraduate and graduate students in landscape architecture, environmental planning, and historic preservation disciplines. Courses, studio and service-learning focus on green infrastructure, low impact development, construction methods and professional practice.
- March 2001 - August 2010: Biological and Agricultural Engineering Extension Associate, North Carolina State University and Upper French Broad Watershed Training Center Coordinator.
RECOGNITION AND OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENTS
Dr. Jon Calabria was awarded a UGA Creative Teaching Award for 2016.
DESIGN AWARDS FROM PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Honor Award in Analysis and Planning, Daylighting Greenville Branch, American Society of Landscape Architects Georgia Chapter (October 24, 2014).
- Faculty Mentor for Student Collaboration Honor Award, Longleaf Pine Conversion at Wormsloe Plantation, American Society of Landscape Architects Georgia Chapter (October 24, 2014).
- Merit Award in Communication, Demonstrating Low Impact Development Techniques and Practices at the North Carolina Arboretum, American Society of Landscape Architects North Carolina Chapter (October 22, 2010).
- Merit Award in Communication, Low Impact Development Education Resources for North Carolina’s Citizens, American Society of Landscape Architects North Carolina Chapter (October 22, 2010).
- Marvin Collins Outstanding Planning Award for Sustainability, American Planning Association North Carolina Chapter (September 30, 2010).
- Landscape Architecture Foundation 2018 Case Study Investigation (CSI) Research Fellow
- Public Service and Outreach Marine Extension Fellow (2017)
- Certified Ecological Designer 2014 (#011), American Ecological Engineering Society (August, 2014)
- Thinking Like a River Fellow 2013, Wofford College, Spartanburg, SC (November 2013)