Job Title: Director, Center for Community Design and Preservation
Phone: (706) 542-6760
Street address: 285 S. Jackson St.
Athens GA 30602
Personal InterestsAcademic service-learning, community engagement, design charrettes, downtown revitalization, historic preservation, historic preservation commissions, historic schools as schools, neighborhood revitalization, urban design
Jennifer Lewis is the Director of the Center for Community Design and Preservation – the Public Service and Outreach arm of the College of Environment and Design (CED). She develops and promotes community engagement, service-learning, and collaborative partnerships for the benefit of students, faculty, staff, citizens and UGA public service and outreach units. She also manages the community design charrette program – a service-learning opportunity for students that provides a collaborative visioning workshop for Georgia communities.
Jennifer was a 2018 member of the Vivian H. Fisher Public Service and Outreach Leadership Academy, a 2011 UGA Service Learning Fellow and served on the Board of Trustees for the Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation for six years, including as its President and as Chairman of the 50th Anniversary Committee. She has served as Georgia’s Certified Local Government Coordinator and as Design Manager for the statewide Better Hometown Program.
Education1995 Bachelor of Arts, Art History and Studio Art, College of Charleston
2002 Master of Historic Preservation, The University of Georgia
2012 Charrette System Certificate, National Charrette Institute
Master of Historic Preservation Thesis: “We Become Like That Which We Constantly Admire: Justifying the Use of Historic School Buildings as Schools”
Citizens for Healthy Neighborhoods
CAPPA – Community Approach to Planning Prince Avenue Steering Committee
Honors and Awards
- PSO Facilitation Academy (2019-20)
- Vivian H. Fisher PSO Leadership Academy (2017-18)
- Service-Learning Fellow, Office of Service Learning, The University of Georgia (2011-12)
- President of the Board of Trustees, Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation (2010-11)
- Trustee of the Year, Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation (2009)
- “40 Under 40”, Athens Banner-Herald (2009)
- Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation Preservation Award for Outstanding Achievement, to Community Approach to Planning Prince Avenue Steering Committee (2004)
- Sigma Pi Kappa Preservation Honor Society, The University of Georgia (1997)