Job Title: ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR
Street address: 6 Bishop House
Personal InterestsPhotography, Drawing, Gardening, and Trail Running
David Spooner is an Associate Professor at CED. He holds an undergraduate degree in Horticultural Science from North Carolina State University and a Master of Landscape Architecture from The University of Georgia. He is a licensed landscape architect with 20 years of private practice experience.
EducationMaster of Landscape Architecture (MLA) from The University of Georgia (1997)
B.S. in Horticulture Science from North Carolina State University (1994)
His research interest broadly centers on the complex relationship between people and the built environment. Related interests include visual aspects of the built environment, streets, walkability, human scale, and design for healthy communities.
Publications & Conference Presentations
- Spooner, David D., (2021) Utilizing ‘Feeling Maps’ and Kinematics of Motion to Inform Walking Route Design. Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA52). How About Justice? Detroit, MI May 19-22.
- Spooner, David D. (2019) "Place Attachment on University Campuses." Planning for Higher Education, Vol. 47 No.2 January-March, 27-38
- Spooner, David D. (2019) "Measuring Walkability Through Movement: A Flipbook Approach." Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Conference, Sacramento, California.
- Spooner, David D (2018) "Student Place Attachment: A Longitudinal Study," Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Conference, Blacksburg, Virginia.
- Spooner, David D. (2017) "Measuring Social Success in Public Spaces: A Critique, Modification and Application of SITES Credit 6.6." Environmental Design Research Associate Conference, Madison, Wisconsin.
- Spooner, David D. (2015) "Enhancing Campus Sustainability Through SITES and Socially Equitable Design." Planning for Higher Education, Vol. 42 No.4 July-September 30-45.
- Spooner, David D. (2011) “Ten Minutes Wide – Human Capacities and Campus Design”. Planning for Higher Education, Vol. 39 No. 4 July-September, pp.11-22.
- Spooner, David D. (2008) “Assessing the Learning Value of Campus Open Spaces through Post-Occupancy Evaluation”, Planning for Higher Education, Vol. 36 No. 3 April-June, pp.44-55.
- Spooner, David D. (2007) “Enclosure and Walkability: An Italian Street Study”. EDRA 38: Building Sustainable Communities, Environmental Design Research Association, Sacramento, California, pp.85-89.
American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA)
Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (CELA)
Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA)
Licensed Landscape Architect (Georgia #1251 and North Carolina #1244)
Honors and Awards
- Design Intelligence Most Admired Educator (2018)
- GSLA Faculty of the Year (2015)
- Lilly Teaching Fellow (2006-2007)
- Excellence in Design Studio Teaching – Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture (2006)
LAND 1500 Design and the Environment
LAND 4060 Urban Design Studio
LAND 4070 American Garden Design Studio
LAND 4370 Applied Urban Construction
LAND 4380 Implementation Documents
LAND 4430 Landscape Photography
LAND 4900 Senior Capstone Studio
LAND 6040 Community and Place Studio
LAND 6210 Representation and Design Communication I
FYOS The Experience of Place
FYOS A Place of My Own