PH.D. APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to be considered for assistantships, applicants are required to submit the following by January 1:
- Graduate School Application Form and Fee Payment (International students click here).
- UNOFFICIAL academic transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be included in your online application. Official transcripts will be required for those admitted to UGA. More information.
- Graduate Record Exam scores
- Three letters of recommendation – As part of the online application, you will need to furnish accurate email address information for individuals to provide three letters of recommendation. The link for the form will be electronically sent to your recommender while completing the online application.
- A statement of intent – The statement is an essential component of an application to the Ph.D. program. It should clearly delineate the applicant’s reasons for pursuing a Ph.D. in the realms of Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, and Environmental Planning. The statement should include a brief description of the applicant’s educational and/or professional background, academic and career goals, and an explanation of how a doctorate from the College of Environment and Design (CED) can help achieve these goals. We expect candidates applying for the Ph.D. program to have a clear research focus. The statement should articulate the exact nature of the subject matter the candidate plans to investigate, demonstrate why this subject is important in relation to the relevant literature, and identify potential methods or strategies that may be used in conducting the proposed research. We also encourage applicants to identify specific CED faculty with whom their research interests align.
- Although not required, admission interviews are recommended for all applicants within half a day’s traveling time of Athens. Interviews are strongly encouraged for all others who can arrange to travel to Athens. Interviews assist the school in evaluating applicants accurately, and applicants in selecting a school that can best meet their specific needs. Accommodations at the Georgia Center are available at a discount for prospective grad students. To arrange an interview, call 706-542-4720 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Depending on your background, portfolio may be required.
Applicants from foreign countries where English is not the native language are required in addition to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores or the IELTS.
Send 1) test scores and 2) official transcripts from all institutions (required if
UGA Graduate School Admissions Office
210 South Jackson Street
Athens, Georgia 30602-4401
Matriculation in fall semester is encouraged; however, applications will be received throughout the year until spaces are filled. For mid-cycle application deadlines, refer to the Graduate School website http://grad.uga.edu/
Acceptance letter response required; a letter of acceptance from the graduate school does not guarantee your place in the Ph.D program. The applicant must indicate acceptance of the admissions offer in writing.