Interested in pursuing a career in design of the built environment?
Gain an edge!
Explore the field of landscape architecture (and college life) at the University of Georgia.
The Pre-Collegiate Summer Design Camp at the College of Environment and Design is an immersive, collaborative, and transformative one-week residential experience for high-achieving high-school students from diverse backgrounds.
This program helps prepare college-bound rising seniors for success by giving them an exciting glimpse of college-level academics and residential life at the University of Georgia. In addition, the Pre-Collegiate Summer Design Camp provides students exposure to areas in landscape architecture and environmental design.
Design camp is offered to accepted students free of charge. Participants in the program are encouraged to apply for undergraduate admission to the University of Georgia and will receive support in their application.
Program Dates: June 7-13, 2020 (Accepted students must be able to attend all program dates)
About Landscape Architecture
Have you ever wondered who is responsible for designing parks, campuses, trails, plazas, residential developments, and other projects that help define a community? That’s the job of a landscape architect! Landscape architecture is at the cross section of art and science, and involves the design, planning, and management of land. If tackling problems like these intrigue you, perhaps seeking a degree in landscape architecture – or a related field dealing with the built environment – is the path for you.
ABOUT THE DESIGN CAMP EXPERIENCE
Students will enjoy the beautiful UGA campus and its outstanding facilities, live in campus housing, meet new people and make lifelong friends. The program offers participants the opportunity to live on-campus, get involved in UGA courses, enjoy extra-curricular activities, and benefit from college preparation workshops.
What to expect. Students will engage in hands-on, immersive design workshops taught by University of Georgia instructors each day. They will participate in introductory lectures in the core areas of landscape architecture practice and research, as well as a hands-on design studio introducing students to the design process, problem solving, and implementing their design ideas. Afternoons will be spent learning how to navigate the UGA student life like a pro with campus tours and workshops led by representatives from UGA’s Admissions and Financial Aid offices. Evenings will feature some of the activities and traditions UGA students enjoy, such as a movie at the Tate Student Center, swimming at the Ramsey Student Center, or a cookout on the beach at Lake Herrick. Participants stay in a residence hall and eat meals in a dining hall throughout the week to complete their on-campus experience. Current UGA College of Environment and Design students serve as counselors to guide, mentor, and answer questions about life as a UGA Bulldawg.
how to apply
The application for the Pre-Collegiate Summer Design Camp has two components:
- Component 1: Completion of on-line application.
- Click here to access the Pre-Collegiate Summer Design Camp Application. Please note that the application must be completed in one sitting and cannot be saved to return to later. It is suggested that students download this PDF version of the application to view and prepare in advance to ensure that the application can be completed on-line in one sitting.
- Due by Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- Component 2: Submission of high school transcript.
- Transcripts will be accepted by e-mail OR by postal mail.
- E-mail option: E-mail transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Design Camp Transcript”. All e-mailed transcripts must be received by Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- Postal mail option: mail transcript to “College of Environment and Design, Jackson Street Building, 285 S Jackson St, Athens, GA 30602”. All transcripts sent by postal mail must be post-marked by Wednesday, April 15, 2020.
For more information about the Pre-Collegiate Summer Design Camp, please contact Brad Davis via email at email@example.com.
The program is supported by the UGA College of Environment and Design and the UGA Office of Multicultural Services & Programs with funding provided through a 2019 UGA New Approaches to Promote Diversity and Inclusion Grant.