Brad Davis, Program Coordinator
Associate Professor and Upper-Level Academic Advisor
Email Professor Davis
Rose Tahash, Coordinator of Undergraduate Services
First-Year Academic Advisor (Please also email Rose if you are considering changing your major to the BLA)
Our mission is to facilitate your understanding of the options and opportunities for academic programs of study, degree requirements, personal development, and future planning. Our service to you will be educated, dependable, accurate, respectful, honest, friendly, and professional.
- engage you in a meaningful relationship designed to support and encourage a challenging and successful undergraduate education
- provide guidance and leadership while recognizing that learning and knowledge will flow both ways in the student services partnership
- empower and challenge you to obtain your academic and personal goals
- work collaboratively with other offices on campus to provide you with the most accurate information and as many support services as necessary
We expect you to:
- prepare for and participate fully in your advising experience
- take ownership of your choices, words, intentions, and actions – academic and otherwise
- actively participate in diverse and experiential learning both inside and outside of the classroom
- develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that recognize needs, perspectives, cultures, values, and expectations in any situation
- Advising is mandatory. You must meet with an advisor each semester in order to be cleared for registration.
- Schedule your advising appointment online.
- Rose advises all First Year students (LAND 2010 and LAND 2020). Brad advises all 2nd-4th year students (LAND 3030 and higher).
- We will consider you a “No Show” for your advising appointment if you arrive more than 10 minutes late to your appointment. You will be emailed a cancellation/request to reschedule.
- If you are not a current UGA student with an 81X ID number, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
- If you are officially enrolled in the BLA major, you will be able to register for LAND classes without getting special permission on as regular a basis as possible.
- Class sections are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Even though you are guaranteed a seat, it is important that you register as soon as your Athena date and time allows. This will help you have a better chance of getting the sections you want.
- BLA Student Services does not control, assign, or guarantee any class enrollment.
DegreeWorks combines The University of Georgia’s degree requirements and coursework completed into an easy-to-read worksheet that helps you see how courses completed count toward degree requirements, as well as what courses and requirements still need to be completed.
It is expected that you will understand and use DegreeWorks to keep track of both core and degree requirements. Please also familiarize yourself with the various features such as exceptions, Look Ahead, What If, General Elective Calculator, etc. DegreeWorks is accessed at https://degreeworks.uga.edu and is available from any computer at any time.
- During your advising appointment, the advisor will review your DegreeWorks audit with you. The audit outlines all requirements for completion of your degree program and indicates which courses you have taken and currently are taking.
- Review your DegreeWorks audit thoroughly and often. You do NOT need to be in an advising appointment to log in and see your audit.
- To get started with DegreeWorks, please view the student tutorials at the following link: http://www.reg.uga.edu/degreeworks/tutorials.
Major Newsletter, Email, and CED Website
- You will be subscribed to the BLA Bulletin weekly newsletter. In this, you will receive important academic information about advising, academic requirements, scholarships and more every Friday morning. This is mandatory for all BLA students.
- All emails from our office are required to be sent to your UGA e-mail address.
- Be sure to check your UGA e-mail at least daily, if not more often.
- If you prefer to use another email client like Gmail – please use EITS instructions for having your UGA email forwarded and be sure it is working.
- You should also check the CED website often for information about events and for answers to questions about requirements, courses, and graduation.
LAND 4700 is mandatory for all BLA students.
- You will work 40 hours a week at a firm or with an allied company for the duration of the summer semester (at least 12 weeks).
- You will receive course credit and pay tuition for the 3-credit class in the summer “thru” session.
- Professor Ron Sawhill is the BLA Internship Coordinator and will assist you with finding an internship, making connections with professionals and/or alumni practitioners, and more. For questions regarding your internship or required forms/grades, please contact him at email@example.com or 706-542-0062.